We believe in sustainable of our palm oil processing is highly depends on a clean environment. Hence, we are never stop to develop or to improve our good agricultural practices. In fact, in the controlling carbon emission to environment, we are the pioneer in development of methane gas capture and utilize system. Our environmental control program are including:-
a) Palm Oil Mill Effluent Treatment System
The anaerobic and aerobic ponds system is been used in our complex in order to comply the DOE requirement.
b) Anaerobic Digester Tanks
We developed KS™ Anaerobic Digester Technology in 1984. It helps to treat POME efficiently and at the same time the methane gas produced is captured and used as a replacement of the fossil fuel for steam boilers. The technology has been perfected over 28 years of continuous full scale operations.
The highly efficient anaerobic digestion design of KS™ system allows maximum recovery of methane possible from the optimally controlled operation of anaerobic digestion of POME and helps to reduce the BOD3 and COD level of the effluent significantly.
With this development, we are proud to be awarded the Winner for the Off-Grid Category of the New Renewable Source of Energy Project Competition of the ASEAN Energy Award 2003 in view of our efforts in maximizing the utilization of in-house renewable sources, in particular biogas capture from POME treatment.
c) Land Management
Keck Seng is committed to develop its plantation with several good practice of land management. These good practices are help:-
- to maintain the soil condition.
- to avoid soil erosion.
- maintain and improve soil structure and stability.
- maintain and improve soil fertility
- maintain soil moisture (moisture conservation)
- prevent loss of the uppermost region soil (top soil).
d) Water Management
Water is an important element in the growing of oil palm trees. Unstable water supply can cause the low productivity or low yield to the oil palm. Therefore, in order to enhance the growth of oil palm or maximizes its productivity, a sustainable method or practice to manage the water wisely is important for us. Hence, we are committed:-
- to practice maintain the quality and availability of surface and ground water.
- to protect the water course and wetlands
- to maintain and restore appropriate riparian buffer zones at or before replanting along all natural waterways within the estate.
- no constructions of bunds/weirs/dams across the main rivers or water ways.
- to monitor the quality of outgoing water into natural waterways which might have negative impact due to current activities.
- to monitor the rainfall data.
- to monitor the water usage in mill.
e) Replanting Program
Zero burning replanting technique is adopted by Keck Seng since 1990s. Compare to the traditional way, this technique is proven to be the more environmental- friendly in terms of reducing the air pollution.
Keck Seng is committed to continue to apply this method to all the estates for now and the future.
f) Integrated Pest Management
The basic aim of IPM is to ensure that the delicate equilibrium between the destructive insect pests and the natural biological agents is always maintained. This is achieved through the integrated combination of biological, cultural, physical, judicious and responsible use of chemical control measures. The biological and ecological knowledge of the pest and their natural enemies will be an added advantage in the implementation of IPM.
Pest infestation or damage in an oil palm is under control and maintained below the threshold of economic injury level. If there is an outbreak, the area infested is not widespread and can be controlled within a short period so that the usage of pesticides is reasonable.
Detailed procedures in implementing an IPM are explained under each pest and strategies. Generally, the procedures for implementation of IPM consist of 3 operational components which are:-
- Prevention - Habitat Management.
- Observation - Monitoring/census, early detection.
- Control measures